The Singapore River
The Singapore River has been a busy trade centre since modern Singapore was founded in 1819. During the colonial era, goods would be transported upstream to warehouses at Clarke Quay. Clarke Quay was named after Sir Andrew Clarke, Singapore’s second Governor and Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1873 to 1875.
However, pollution took its toll on the river, and the government made the decision to cleaned up the Singapore River and its environment from 1977 to 1987. The area was given a new lease of life and turned into a flourishing commercial, residential and entertainment precinct. The historical value of Clarke Quay was accorded critical consideration, making it mandatory that new buildings complement the historical character of the area and that certain old buildings be restored.
On 10 December 1993, the biggest conservation project for the Singapore River, called Clarke Quay Festival Village was officially opened. Currently, five blocks of restored warehouses house various restaurants and nightclubs.